How to Reset Your Body’s Hormone Levels to Lose Stubborn Pounds
While hormones may be tiny, they have a huge impact on your overall health and well being. If they’re tweaked just enough in the wrong direction, you could end up being irritable, tired and feeling like you’ve put on weight.
Fortunately, there is a way that you can reset your hormones and put your body and mind back on the right path. Here are some simple suggestions that will help you do just that:
- Sleep in cool temperatures. When you sleep, your body temperature naturally rises, and when you feel hot while you’re sleeping, you’re more inclined to toss, turn, wake up and throw the covers off of yourself. When your sleep is disturbed, so are your hormones. In fact, disturbed sleep can cause your body to produce less leptin, the hormone that is responsible for controlling your appetite and weight gain. In order to avoid a huge change in your hormone levels, try setting your thermostat a little lower before you go to bed. Sleeping in cooler conditions will help your body feel cooler, which means you will have a more restful sleep.
- Don’t crash diet. Though the allure of a crash may be tempting, avoid it. A sudden reduction in your calorie intake can cause your thyroid hormone levels to drop and slow down your metabolism. You can still lose weight, though; just eight a well-balanced diet all the time.
- Skip the caffeine. Try nixing your caffeine habit. Caffeine can increase the production of cortisol, the stress producing hormone. So, the more caffeine you consume, the more stressed and irritable you will be.
- Avoid those PMS cravings. When that time of the month arrives, it’s normal to crave things like chocolate; however, try to avoid it. Instead, satisfy your craving for sweets with a sweet fruit, which will bring your magnesium levels back up – something that is depleted when you’re PMSing.
- Pump up the workout. Step up your workout and you’ll speed up your metabolism and boost your production of endorphins, those feel good hormones that boost your mood and your immune system. Try listening to music to motivate you to push harder and you’ll also increase your serotonin levels.
Healthy Food House