Top 10 Beauty Benefits of Strawberries
One of the most vibrant and lustrous fruits, strawberries are equally liked by both children and adults. The heart-shaped, delicate berries have a characteristic aroma, bright red color, juicy texture, and sweet and sour taste.
Strawberries are the only fruit in the world with seeds on the outside. There are about 600 varieties of strawberries that differ in flavor, size and texture.
You can enjoy fresh strawberries, add them to salads or use them to make fruit juice, pies, ice creams, smoothies, milkshakes and chocolates.
These juicy fruits have much more to offer beyond sweetness and flavor. They are packed with nutrients and minerals that have many health and beauty benefits.
Strawberries are rich in essential nutrients, such as vitamins C, A and K, calcium, magnesium, folic acid, phosphorus, potassium, folate and dietary fiber. They are also sodium, cholesterol and fat free.
Plus, strawberries contain powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties and they are rich in flavonoids and salicylic acid, which provide many beauty benefits.
Here are the top 10 beauty benefits of strawberries.
1. Slows Aging
Vitamin C and other antioxidants present in strawberries delay the aging process. They help prevent damage to the skin and body caused by free radicals that can accelerate aging.
In addition, the lycopene in strawberries helps fight skin aging signs. In addition to eating strawberries, you can use them to make a face mask to get the anti-aging benefits.
- Prepare an anti-aging face mask with ½ cup of mashed strawberries, 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 teaspoons of milk cream. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply this paste all over your face and neck.
- Allow it to sit for 20 to 25 minutes, then wash it off with cool water and pat dry.
- Use this face pack once a week.
2. Improves Skin Complexion
Strawberries can also help brighten up dull skin and improve your complexion. They have skin-lightening properties as well as ellagic acid that help reduce skin spots and lighten scars. The antioxidants in strawberries are also very useful in protecting the skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) sunrays.
- Simply cut a strawberry in half and rub the inner flesh over your face, neck, hands and other exposed skin.
- Allow the juice to remain on your skin for about 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat daily or every other day to get a glowing complexion.
3. Lightens Dark Lips
Strawberries contain vital minerals and vitamins that can help treat dark lips. Plus, they help exfoliate the dead skin cells that tend to make your lips appear dark and dull. In addition, their hydrating nature helps liven up and plump your lips.
- Mash up 1 strawberry and gently rub the flesh on your lips for a couple of minutes. Allow the juice to sit for 5 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this a few times a week.
- Another option is to prepare a mixture with 1 tablespoon of strawberry juice and 2 tablespoons of petroleum jelly. Store the mixture in the refrigerator and use it as a lip balm 2 or 3 times daily.
4. Cures Acne
Strawberries are one of the best ingredients for acne-prone skin. Their acidic nature helps remove excess sebum, one of the key causes of acne.
In addition, they contain fiber that helps get rid of harmful toxins from the body. Toxins are a known factor for acne and pimples. Eat strawberries and also apply the following face mask.
- Mash 5 to 6 ripe strawberries.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of sour cream or low-fat, unsweetened yogurt to make a smooth paste.
- Apply it to your face.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
- Use this remedy twice a week to prevent acne and pimples.
5. Exfoliates Skin
Strawberries also work as a natural exfoliant for your skin. Their vitamin C and salicylic acid content help remove dead skin cells, excess sebum and other impurities from the skin. Moreover, strawberries help repair and nourish skin of all types.
- Simply mash a handful of ripe strawberries into a paste.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon each of sugar and olive oil.
- Gently massage the paste onto your body using circular motions.
- Wait 15 minutes before taking a bath.
- Follow this remedy once or twice a week.
6. Makes Teeth Whiter
Strawberries provide a natural way to whiten your teeth. Their vitamin C content helps breakdown plaque that causes your teeth to appear yellow. In addition, their malic acid helps transform yellow teeth into pearly whites.
- Grind 1 to 2 strawberries into a paste. Rub it on your teeth for a couple of minutes and then rinse your mouth with warm water. Do this twice daily for a few weeks.
- Another option is to simply rub half a strawberry back and forth all over your teeth, wait 1 minute and then rinse it off with warm water. Follow this simple remedy twice daily for about a couple of weeks.
Strawberries have astringent properties that help treat sagging skin. In addition, they are rich in vitamin C, an antioxidant that boosts production of collagen fibers. This helps keep the skin smooth and firm and prevents skin sagginess.
- Mix the puree of 2 to 3 ripe strawberries with 2 teaspoons each of plain yogurt and honey.
- Apply the paste on your face and neck.
- Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this once daily for several weeks.
8. Fades Freckles
Being rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants, strawberries can help fade freckles and blemishes naturally. Moreover, these berries help fight free radicals, nourish the skin and keep it properly hydrated. In addition, strawberries have bleaching properties.
- Mash 2 large ripe strawberries into a paste.
- Mix in ½ tablespoon of honey.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas.
- Allow it to sit for 5 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat once daily for several weeks.
9. Reduces Under-Eye Puffiness
Strawberries contain natural compounds that work as an anti-inflammatory to help get rid of under-eye puffiness. Moreover, the astringent property of the berries helps reduce puffiness and swelling.
- Chill 1 to 2 large strawberries in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cut them into thick slices.
- Lie down and put the cool slices over your eyes.
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes, remove the slices and wash your face with cold water.
- Repeat as needed.
10. Promotes Healthy Nail Growth
Strawberries are rich in biotin that helps build strong nails. Biotin encourages nail growth by improving the keratin infrastructure. The vitamin C and folic acid in strawberries also assist in healthy nail growth.
If you have weak nails, include more strawberries in your diet. Eat a handful of ripe strawberries as a healthy snack. You can also add strawberries to your yogurt, smoothies or salad.
If you are allergic to strawberries, do not use them in your skin care routine.
Top 10 Home Remedies