Home Remedies For Arthritis
You may feel it in your knees, hips, hands or other joints throughout your body. Pain, for no apparent reason. Often it is a sign of arthritis, a very common problem that can take many forms. Simply stated, arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints.
In addition to pain, some common symptoms are swelling and redness around the joint, limited movement in the affected body parts, and stiffness. There are more than 100 different types of arthritis. Arthritis can vary from mild to severe cases.A doctor can prescribe medication or you can take over-the-counter pain relievers. But many people experience improvement simply by staying physically active along with one or more simple natural treatments.Here are the top 10 home remedies for arthritis.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus. Thus, it is useful in relieving joint pain. Moreover, it helps remove the buildup of toxins in the joints and connective tissues.
- Take a cup of warm water.
- Mix one teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey in it.
- Drink this solution daily in the morning as it gives an alkalizing effect.
Another common ingredient that can help treat arthritis is ginger, which has natural anti-inflammatory properties.
- Dry grind a mixture of 6 teaspoons of dried ginger, 6 teaspoons of caraway seeds and 3 teaspoons of black pepper. Take half a teaspoon of this mixture along with water, thrice daily.
- Ginger oil, when applied on the affected area on a regular basis, can reduce pain, inflammation and stiffness.
- Eating raw ginger on a regular basis can help to alleviate pain by improving blood circulation. Simply peel and slice fresh ginger and eat it along with each meal.
Massaging with mustard oil is considered excellent for getting rid of arthritis pain and inflammation. The oil works as a natural ointment and stimulates blood flow.
- Heat some mustard oil until it is slightly warm. If there is swelling, you can mix an equal amount of onion juice, too. Rub it gently over the painful joint. Then cover the joint with plastic wrap and apply warm towels. Repeat this remedy daily before going to bed for best results.
- You can also use a small amount of eucalyptus oil (helps with inflammation). Or, mix wintergreen oil and eucalyptus oil together and rub it on the joint. For this remedy, you do not need to apply hot compresses.
Regular consumption of turmeric can reduce inflammation. It contains curcumin that possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It is particularly good when dealing with rheumatoid arthritis.
- You can take 500mg to 1,000mg turmeric capsules three times per day.
- You can also drink fresh turmeric juice, or a glass of milk mixed with one teaspoon of turmeric powder daily before going to bed.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a good source of magnesium that helps regulate the pH levels in the body. It is essential to balance the pH levels because certain inflammatory diseases such as arthritis are caused by high acidity levels in the body.
- Mix Epsom salt and fresh lemon juice in equal amounts to half a cup of warm water. Swallow one teaspoon of the mixture twice daily, one in the morning and one at night.
- You can also add two cups of Epsom salt to warm bath water and soak in it.
Cinnamon can be used to relieve arthritis pain due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties .
- Mix one-half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water and drink it every morning on an empty stomach. Do this daily for several days.
- You can also make a paste of cinnamon and honey and massage it gently on the painful area.
7. Fish Oil
The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil have an anti-inflammatory effect in the body and can help reduce pain.
- Simply consume one to two teaspoons of fish oil daily.
- Taking fish oil supplements in the morning on an empty stomach reduces morning stiffness.
Alfalfa is another herb that can be used by those suffering from arthritis because it is rich in minerals and helps regulate pH levels.
- You can make a healthy cup of tea using alfalfa seeds. Simply add half or one teaspoon of the seeds to a cup of boiling water. Let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes with a lid on and then strain it. Drink this twice daily for two to three weeks to reduce inflammation.
- You can also opt for alfalfa capsules, which are readily available in the market and can be taken daily.
Cherries are a very good source of magnesium and potassium, both of which help arthritis sufferers. Magnesium is anatural painkiller, and potassium helps reduce inflammation.
- Eat eight to 10 cherries daily. You can use canned, frozen or fresh cherries depending upon which is easily available.
- You can also drink cherry syrup. Boil some cherries in water for a few minutes until it creates a strong, sweet syrup. Drink this daily for a few months.
The anti-inflammatory properties in borage seed oil can help relieve various symptoms of arthritis.
- Regularly massage borage seed oil onto the affected area to help heal tender and swollen joints.
- You can also drink one teaspoon of borage seed oil daily for pain relief. Borage seed oil is safe and will not cause any harm, but do not ingest borage seeds or other parts of the plant.
People suffering from any kind of arthritis will likely get relief from one or more of these remedies. It is essential for arthritis patients also to maintain physical activities to enjoy better health.
Top 10 Home Remedies